Female Football League

Controversy over the PowderPuff name change

Photo by Marvin Hall/Courtesy Photo

Grand Ledge Seniors face off against the Sophomores in the new sexism free Female Football League. In the 2018 season, the sophomores won the tournament.

Austin McCartney, Staff Writer

Once a year, like many high schools, Grand Ledge organizes an all-girl flag football tournament. For many years, it was titled PowderPuff. However, in 2018, the name was changed to the Female Football League. Although it initially did not seem like the name change was necessary, PowderPuff was thrown out the window. Now people are still questioning whether the decision to change the name was the right move. The opinions throughout the community are split, and both sides have a plethora of reasons for why they are right.

According to multiple sources, the main reason for the name change were complaints that the name PowderPuff was sexist and could be offensive to people. Emotions and responses to the new name were mixed. While the vast majority had absolutely no problem with the new name, others were the exact opposite, expressing that the new name was terrible, and others were left totally confused.

For the number of people that agreed with the decision, most of them did not mind the change, but also did not necessarily believe that the name was sexist. For those who did however, they could be on to something. In a day and age where being politically correct is more important than ever, a large number of people argue that the name PowderPuff has been outdated for far too long. It might have been acceptable to have this name in the past, but the PowderPuff name does not need to live another generation. It just does not fit with the message society is trying to send to others, especially high schoolers who will eventually start a life of their own and make more and more decisions for themselves. Another point that is brought up is the original meaning of the word “PowderPuff.” One of the meanings of the word is defined as soft. This is upsetting to some, solidifying their stance to get rid of the PowderPuff name for good.

For the opposing side, there are also a number of complaints, and not just because the name is not catchy. Many argue that the name change was not truly necessary, due to the fact that the original name was not intended to be offensive, therefore the name should not change. Also, the title Female Football League does not make any sense. The event, if anything, is classified as a tournament. It does not make any sense to consider two semi-final games and a championship game a league. Another argument given is that almost every other school in the United States calls the game PowderPuff, so why change it if no one else seems to have a problem with it. One of the opposers of the name change is GLHS junior Easton Currie.

“The name changing to Female Football League is really unnecessary,” Currie said. “The name just doesn’t make any sense. It’s just flag football, so I don’t see the problem with it being called PowderPuff.”

Both sides have provided valid points, and not many are giving in to the other’s view of the situation. Although this problem may never be resolved, with the majority of people still quarreling about the name change, Female Football League does not seem to be going anywhere any time soon.