GLHS Student Wins Art Award

Scholastic Gold Key awarded to sophomore Emily Felcher

Illustration by Emily Felcher/Courtesy Illustration

“Ode to Stan Lee” was created in honor of the late creator of the the Marvel Universe. The illustration won a Gold Key for Scholastic and Runner up for the New York Times.

Jonathan Callison, Copy Editor/Graphic Designer

Art and writing takes a lot of skill and talent. To become the best at art and writing, one must practice and develop what it takes to become great.

Recently, the journalism classes here at GLHS were tasked with creating an editorial cartoon. The instructions for the cartoon were to create a drawing, illustration, or series of artwork that offers commentary or criticism about current issues, political topics or historical events covered in The New York Times. The rules were based on instructions provided by The New York Times editorial cartoon contest they were holding.

Sophomore Emily Felcher is one of the journalism students who needed an idea, but what she came up with was a unique tribute to a legendary figure.

“Stan Lee inspired a lot of people with his work,” Felcher said. “The other figures in the cartoon were picked for the same reason. They have also inspired people. Mr. Rogers inspired me when I watched him on tv as a kid.”

The editorial cartoon is Stan Lee finishing the stair climb into Heaven and being greeted by other legendary figures, such as Mr. Rogers, Bob Ross, and Walt Disney. The cartoon was submitted to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. The results for the art portion that were released on Jan. 2 showed that Felcher had won a Gold Key Award for her editorial cartoon; a Gold Key Award is the highest award in this contest. Felcher reflected on her Gold Key win and if she plans on a future career in the art world.

“I kind of freaked out, and it still has not sunk in,” Felcher said. “It feels pretty good. Hopefully [there is a career], not sure what yet, but I definitely want to put stuff out there and be happy with it.”

Felcher also submitted two other pieces into the digital art category and received an Honorable Mention for both works of art. Felcher is also a finalist in the New York Times’ editorial contest with the “Ode to Stan Lee” drawing. The future looks bright for Emily Felcher in the world of art design.