The Student News Site of Grand Ledge High School

Week 1 Varsity Football Game

September 19, 2019

Photo by Cole Harkins

The Grand Ledge Football field that was stormed upon, which caused a cancellation on Sept. 5. This resulted in a reschedule of play for Sept. 6.

On a cloudy and tense night, week one of Varsity Football kicked off for the 2019-2020 school year. With the first game rapidly approaching, the expectations and nerves of the 2019 Grand Ledge Varsity team reached their peak. 

“I was excited to see where we stack up against difficult opponents such as Hudsonville,” Jack Elieff, lineman on defense and offense for GL, said. On Aug. 29, GL faced off against Hudsonville on the GLHS home field for the first game. For every Varsity game there is a theme, and for the GL students, the first game was jersey night. The student section was flooded with people wearing jerseys, including the sideline cheerleaders.

Going back and forth between the two teams, it was apparent both offense and defense had strong game plans. After an action-packed first half, and with storms on the radar, the halftime score was 27-13 with Hudsonville in the lead.

As the team lined up for the kickoff of the second half, thunder crackled in the sky, delaying the game until the storms passed.

All the players had to swarm into the locker room and were held until the game could continue. The players were held until a little past 11 P.M. in hopes of continuing on with the game.

After a few hours, the coaches and referees concluded that storms were not going to pass and rescheduled the second half for 12 P.M. on Friday, Aug. 30. Friday did not go in the way that many GL fans would have wanted, as the team struggled defensively and offensively. The Hudsonville Eagles put up 28 points in the second half and held the Comets to 0 points in the second half of a hard fought game. The final score of the game was 55-13, placing the Comets at a 0-1 to start the 2019 Football season. 

“Offense struggled more Thursday night and Friday morning we struggled heavily on both sides of the ball,” Jack Elieff explained.

Grand Ledge went up against East Kentwood last week, but faced another heartbreaking defeat. The final score against East Kentwood was 39-6. The Comets are hoping to make a comeback after a rough start to the 2019 season.

View Comments (2)

The Comets’ Tale • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (2)

All The Comets' Tale Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

adviserSep 23, 2019 at 10:08 am

John, Rob is confused as to what you mean by “fix the headlines.”

Reply
    • J

Jonathan CallisonSep 26, 2019 at 1:12 pm

I just went in and fixed them. I meant the “Breaking News.” Sorry, I forgot what it was called. It’s on the left side of the Dashboard bar.

Reply
2