Backstroke Laps and Swimming Caps

Grand Ledge Aquatic Athletes Gear up for the Fall Conference

Photo by Michelle Rainsberger/Courtesy Photo

Varsity Girls swim team poses together at their meet in Okemos on September 19. GL swam away with a win!

Cam Roberts, Staff Writer

GL Girls swim has not only been a Capital Area Activities Conference, or CAAC Blue, powerhouse for the last few years, but has also had serious state title contenders as well. When it comes to this year’s varsity swim team, expect nothing different. Even with their previous coach of several years, Coach Ian Townsend, leaving at the end of last season, the girls swim team is thriving in the face of adversity. The team has done phenomenally well recently and intends to keep up the intensity. 

This year, the team opted to have three seniors as captains instead of two as in previous years. Captains Ava Bennett, Jordan Haywood, and Lola Mull are leading this season, and even with their old coach gone, they still have familiar faces around to show them that some things never change. Proud Assistant Coaches June Vanvleck and Richard Mull are contributing to whipping this team into shape and matching practice intensity to that of the conference meet coming up on Nov. 8 in Saint Johns. 

“We have to have a supportive and positive mindset. The only time you’re not cheering is when you are warming up or swimming.

— Ava Bennett

“We have to have a supportive and positive mindset. The only time you’re not cheering is when you are warming up or swimming,” Ava Bennett, senior and captain on the Swim team, said. To these girls, it’s not just about winning, it is about really getting to know their teammates. 

“Just be ready to work hard… practices are hard but in the end the payoff is crazy. You will feel in shape and getting to know all the girls is a lot fun,” Alyssa Rainsberger, a sophomore on the team, said. A conference meet is just scratching the surface with these girls; their chemistry is the heart of the team, and they are all very excited for the rest of the season.

As the team gears up for the CAAC Blue meet at Saint Johns after being undefeated last year, they are keeping their eyes on the prize. After winning the conference meet the last three seasons, these girls have confidence that with team effort and the right state of mind they can take themselves all the way.