Jennifer Bouck: Hero Highlight

Amiah Edmond

Mrs.Bouck rocking a fabulous outfit on her first day back! Mrs.Bouck had been gone the previous week for medical appointments.

Amiah Edmond, Staff Writer

There is a hero at Grand Ledge High School who just conquered a monster that has been wreaking havoc on people for centuries. AP Psychology and French teacher, Mrs. Bouck, fought and won her terrifying battle against breast cancer. 

“When I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma (breast cancer) last January, I was so thankful for how helpful and supportive my students and co-workers were. My students last winter and this fall were so flexible and wonderful for my long-term substitute teacher, Mr. Hengesbach. Mr. Hengesbach was also fantastic to work with.  He handled everything for me to make my recovery more restful. My amazing work family supported me generously with gift cards to every restaurant imaginable. Many of them visited, called or sent messages to cheer me up,” Bouck said. 

Having to take a lot of time off of work can be stressful, especially if coworkers or bosses are not supportive. Having a long-term sub for a big portion of the trimester can be a very difficult thing.. Students can get very frustrated because the sub might not know the answer to every question asked, but Mr. Hengesbach has helped as best as he could and did a wonderful job doing it.

I am not sure I have overcome my fears. I have heard that once a person is diagnosed with cancer that the thought of recurrence lies in the back of one’s mind forever. It is an ongoing fear in my mind. I have tried to face each phase of the journey with courage though.

— Mrs. Bouck

“My work family also gave me one of my most-prized possessions, a Pandora bracelet with special charms that they selected for me and sent personal notes explaining why they chose the charm they did. I wear it every day and I am reminded of the love and support that was shown to me by my GLHS family and friends! My family has also been incredible. My daughters, husband, mother, sister and father never lose faith in my recovery! They know cancer picked the wrong woman,” Bouck said. Those who know Mrs. Bouck know she is a strong woman and loves all of her students.Having a strong support system while going through something like this is very important. 

“I am not sure I have overcome my fears. I have heard that once a person is diagnosed with cancer that the thought of recurrence lies in the back of one’s mind forever. It is an ongoing fear in my mind. I have tried to face each phase of the journey with courage though. Every day I see my scars and I am reminded that I am lucky to be alive and be so healthy, even if I am tired or struggling,” Bouck said. 

Family and friends can sometimes be the only good things during the day when going through treatment. Sometimes, having them close can help the recovery process. Bouck is very happy to be back in the school teaching and wants other people going through a difficult time to know to take it one day at a time.