Making their environmental impact

The+sticker+being+sold+by+the+club+is+one+of+many+items+the+club+is+now+selling.+It+was+designed+by+the+club+presidents+Lauren+Auge%2C+Lanny+Lo%2C+and+Sierra+Estrada.+Along+with+the+sticker%2C+the+club+listed+water+bottles%2C+straws%2C+utensils%2C+and+reusable+bags.+

Photo by Lola Mull

The sticker being sold by the club is one of many items the club is now selling. It was designed by the club presidents Lauren Auge, Lanny Lo, and Sierra Estrada. Along with the sticker, the club listed water bottles, straws, utensils, and reusable bags.

Lola Mull, Copy Editor

Did you know that over 60 million water bottles end up in a landfill across the world each day, adding up to over 22 billion water bottles a year? Some local Grand Ledge students know this, and they are trying their hardest to lessen this impact. The Grand Ledge High School (GLHS) Environmental Club, led by presidents Lauren Auge, Lanny Lo, and Sierra Estrada, has a goal to educate Grand Ledge’s students about environmental issues, and to help them and the community be more environmentally aware. This activist club is an excellent meeting place for students who care about environmental friendliness, and offers a community of like-minded individuals willing to put their time and effort into the club. 

“I really hope the club continues to grow through the years and the students of our school become more environmentally aware. I also hope we can execute some large scale projects like a community garden, or even get solar panels,” Lauren Auge, club president and senior, said. The presidents of this club built it from the ground up, and hope they can keep on building.

I hope the club can help contribute to the greater movement of helping the earth… I also would love to see the club enact bigger changes- something substantial that will further aid in helping reduce our footprint

— Lanny Lo

“I hope the club can help contribute to the greater movement of helping the earth… I also would love to see the club enact bigger changes- something substantial that will further aid in helping reduce our footprint,” junior Lanny Lo said. “I want to be able to see people acknowledging a better choice and taking it. Or if they don’t, bring the better choice to them, like if they see more recycling bins people, will tend to recycle more — or that’s the idea.” 

The latest project the club took on was a holiday sale of eco-friendly products from the 2nd through the 10th of December, in an effort to get the GLHS community to use reusable products instead of single-use disposable ones. The items sold included glass water bottles, metal and bamboo straws, reusable produce and snack bags, a bamboo cutlery set, and the environmental club sticker. The prices ranged from $1-10 dollars, and were available for pick up before winter break, so the sale became perfect for holiday gifts for friends and family. 

All of the products that were sold are often bought as single-use plastics, which are detrimental to the local and global environment, and the eco-friendly products reduce the amount of waste produced every single time they are used. Another project that the club participated in was a Dec. 6th climate strike at the capital, where the Grand Ledge Eco Club collaborated with the Sunrise Movement to help put on the strike and make a difference. The Sunrise Movement  also be attended the club’s Dec. 3rd meeting to speak with them about future projects to collaborate on and ways to help the community. 

Want to make a positive impact on the environment? Reach out to Lauren Auge, Lanny Lo, Sierra Estrada, or Mrs. Auge at [email protected]