GL Archery Classic

2018 Benji Crowner Archery Tournament

Archers shoot from the 15 meter line at the Grand Ledge Archery Classic. Volunteers helped with setting up the targets, sponsor signs, target numbers, and even put the shooters tape down on the floor.

Photo by Jonathan Callison

Photo by Jonathan Callison

Jonathan Callison, Copy Editor/Graphic Designer

Photo by Jonathan Callison
Grand Ledge high school archers who stayed at the tournament claimed their second and third place trophies. The tournament started at eight in the morning and went until after six when the trophies got handed out.

Bows and arrows are not just for hunting anymore. Bows are also used for the competitive sport of archery. From the Olympics to high school sports teams, the sport is growing every year.

On Oct. 20, the second annual Grand Ledge Archery Classic took place. This year it was named the Benji Crowner GL Archery Classic in remembrance of Coach Crowner. Coach Crowner passed away earlier this year from his battle with cancer. He loved the sport of archery and he loved coaching the kids involved in the sport. His daughter, freshman Mckenna Wischmeyer, reflected on the tournament and the name change.

“I’m honestly pretty happy and it makes me happy to have him remembered through a tournament, because archery was his life and it’s mine too,” Wischmeyer said. “I think it was very successful, and I’m glad how great it turned out!”

Photo by Jonathan Callison
Top male archer, Justin Miller, and top female archer, Anna Herbert with their first place medals and signed hats. The hats they won were GL archery hats signed by Grand Ledge native, Tom Nelson, host of American Archer TV.

The tournament lasted from eight in the morning to six in the afternoon. 360 archers from 17 different schools in the tri-state area came to compete in the tournament. States like IN, OH, and MI. Luckily, because the tournament was held inside, the heavy rain did not have an affect on it. GLHS archery teams one and two took second and third place in the tournament, and Hartland High School took first. First, second, and third place teams for high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools took home the trophies, while the top five archers took home medals. The top male and female competitors not only won first place medals, but also won a GL archery hat signed by Tom Nelson, the American Archer tv show host who lives in Grand Ledge. Along with the team trophies, two GL archers placed in the top five in the female division. Junior Alex Hart took home the second place medal, and Wischmeyer placed fifth.

“It was very successful,” Coach Shaltry said. “We had over 300 archers from the tri-state area. The farthest teams drove from Indiana, about two and a half hours away. It’s great to see kids from all different backgrounds, sizes, and abilities having fun in one of the greatest sports ever. Everybody had a lot of  fun!”

Photo by Jonathan Callison
Grand Ledge archers shoot in the first flight of the day. The high school has three different practices a week after school in the archery range.

The tournament was not only successful, it was also fun, which made it a relaxed environment for the archers.

“It was great!” junior Josie Earle stated. “It was very low stress and a good way to start out the season.”

The tournament was successful because of the great, hardworking volunteers that helped plan, set-up, and run the tournament.

GL will be competing in the Hartland Invitational on Oct. 27 in Hartland, MI, and in the Whitco fall tournament on Nov. 3 in Larwill, IN. Good luck GLHS archers, and congratulations on another successful tournament.

Illustration by Jonathan Callison
Top three schools, and top five male and female archers.

About the Writer

This is John's second year on the newspaper staff, but also his last because he is a senior. When John is not writing or at school, most likely he is hunting,...