Spicing Up the School Store

Photo by Mikayla Graham

Senior Payton Wieber sells a drink from the Comet Connection to freshman William Leisenring. Wieber was doing so as a student in Mr. Miller’s Marketing class.

Mikayla Graham, Staff Writer

As the year of 2018 comes to a close, the Comet Connection is preparing to gear for all of its new features. Ranging from Dippin’ Dots to trying to get a website up and running, the Grand Ledge High School Store is turning itself into a public phenomenon.

The Comet Connection is a part of teacher Greg Miller’s marketing class, and students that are enrolled have the opportunity to help run the school store. According to senior Austin Dong, it has been one of the most rewarding classes he has taken throughout his high school career.

“I never hesitated to be in the school store, especially since I want to own my very own business someday,” said Dong. “Being in the student store allows you to experience every little detail of how to run a successful business. Probably my favorite part of working in the school store is definitely the people you are with, because you get to meet new people, able to talk to those who I have not seen in a while, be able to work with them, and have a memorable time with everyone.”

The store has recently added Dippin’ Dots, something most individuals only see at amusement parks. The Comet Connection offers Dippin’ Dots in a variety of flavors ranging from cotton candy to rainbow. Grand Ledge students can stop in for Dippin’ Dots at the low price of three dollars.

Another new feature is the jet fuel for high school students known as coffee. The store now offers cold brewed coffee and students have the option of choosing black coffee or coffee with cream, both of which are three dollars and fifty cents.

Along with the Dippin’ Dots and new cold brewed coffee, Mr. Miller and his students are currently trying to produce a school website. The Comet Connection website will feature items that are sold in the school store, such as socks, shirts, sweatshirts, and more. It will also give the Comet Connection the opportunity to advertise new items or deals online so more students will see it.

There is also a variety of holiday themes that causes the school store to have sporadic deals. Back in the fall, the Comet Connection produced apple cider slushies. Now for Christmas, the store has a pesky elf running around and the first student to spot him everyday scores a free cookie on the house.

The school store is currently trying to make a deal for second trimester exam week. The students are planning to organize a donut and chocolate milk combo for two dollars, so make sure to stop in and possibly score a free cookie or spice up your day with some ice cream at lunchtime.