March is Reading Month

Photos by Hannah Rose

Dressed in her Wonder Woman gear, outdoor apparel, formal attire, and Liverpool jersey, Shari Wolke supports March is Reading Month every day of spirit week. Wolke makes sure to read every day; the most recent book she read was Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

Hannah Rose, Editor-in-Chief

When the outside world becomes a strain on the shoulders of students and teachers alike, a small paper bound portal can be the best way out. Books of every genre offer relief to people world wide, and March is Reading Month celebrates this fun pass time every year.

Mar. is considered reading month in celebration of the late Dr. Seuss, in hopes of giving children motivation to read every day.

“Literacy is key for all aspects of life, not just in high school,” GLHS Newspaper and Yearbook adviser Shari Wolke said. “March is Reading Month is one way we can promote literacy throughout every day at GLHS.”

During the week of Mar. 25-29, GLHS celebrated March is Reading Month with a unique spirit week. During this week students and staff that dressed up according to the daily prompt (Mon- Comic Book and Graphic Novel Day: “dress like your favorite superhero,” Tues- Survival Day: “wear your outdoor gear,” Wed- Formal Day: “try on ties and tiaras,” and Thurs- Jersey Day: “sport your favorite team jersey”).

“[My favorite day] was jersey day because I got to wear my Liverpool jersey,” Wolke said.

Those seen wearing the correct attire this week were given tickets to be put in a raffle to win fun prizes. Prizes could also be won for wearing a “Reading is Lit” shirt on Mondays in Mar, getting caught reading, and posting reading selfies or book reviews using #GLReads. Prizes included books, gift cards, GLHS parking passes, prom tickets, and more.

Multiple GLHS members chose to dress up for spirit week and participate during the entire month in support of the importance of reading. March is Reading Month did not just make Mar. a fun time for the community, but taught them about the importance of literacy in an interactive way.

“The more that you read, the more things you will know,” Dr. Seuss said. “The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

Photos by Hannah Rose
Multiple students and staff dressed up for one or multiple days of Spirit week. Some also wore “Reading is Lit” shirts purchased from the Comet Connection store.