Looking Towards The Season

Boys basketball just around the corner at GLHS

Students trying out for basketball are currently practicing in the old gym on Wednesday nights. Stay tuned for tryouts on November 18, 2019.

Photo by Zack Borgman/Courtesy Photo

Roxy Hernandez, Staff Writer

As the fall sports season wraps up, winter sports are underway, and basketball is at the forefront. Students who are interested in playing basketball are currently preparing for basketball tryouts by conditioning and taking advantage of the provided open gym twice a week. 

During open gym, these athletes work hard and practice skills like shooting, dunking and dribbling. Players are currently working as a team to improve their skill set, as well as working as individuals.

“During open gym, we play pickup basketball, and have fun,” Caden Knight, a sophomore, stated. Many of these hours consist of scrimmages or pickup basketball, where the students get into teams followed by playing a game of five on five for practice, and which generally last for about two hours.

Coach Travis is a good coach. He knows what he’s doing and has been on the program for nine years. I think it’s gonna be a great season.

— Zach Borgman

“I’m preparing by working out, conditioning, and lifting [weights]. I’d say I condition about 4-5 times a week by running miles or stair climbing,”  Devan Wilson a Grand Ledge junior, said. Conditioning is an important part of getting ready for tryouts. It helps athletes work up to a new season and get them get into shape. 

Not only are athletes hard at work for the upcoming season, but they are also preparing for the transition of the new head coach,  Travis Schihammer. Schihammer was assistant under the previous coach for over five years before being the new Varsity head coach. 

“Coach Travis is a good coach. He knows what he’s doing and has been on the program for nine years. I think it’s gonna be a great season,” Zack Borgman, Grand Ledge junior, said. Borgman was consistent in saying he believes it will be a season to remember and that they are hoping to play undefeated against their opponent schools.

Basketball tryouts are on Nov. 18, 2019, lasting for three days. The first official boys basketball game will be on Dec. 10, 2019 playing against Haslett High School. The Comets are hoping for an undefeated season and are hard at work to make it happen.