Gymnastics: 1 Gravity: 0

Megan Reynaert

Taking on the beam, Alana Chapman dominates her routine. GL Varsity Gymnastics ended up winning the meet against Escanaba.

Megan Reynaert, Co-Editor in Chief

The Grand Ledge Varsity Gymnastics team has had an outstanding season so far. They have hosted three meets this season versus Haslett, Holt, and Escanaba High School. Grand Ledge will host one more meet, the MHSAA (Michigan High School Athletic Association) Regionals, on Saturday, March 5th, 2022. 

The season started with an away meet at Holt on December 4th, 2021. When they’re not performing at home, the team travels to meets across the state. They have attended a meet almost every weekend since the beginning of January. The team holds practices seven days a week with the exception of meet days, according to Senior Kennedy Sabin, with one or two of those days usually being optional to attend.

“We usually practice every day, with some practices being longer than others. On the day before a meet, we will usually have in and outs where we go in to complete our routines and fine-tune any deductions we took from the previous meet,” stated team Captain Isabel Tenniswood.

Head Coach, Duane Haring, has been coaching Grand Ledge Varsity Gymnastics for 21 years now, since early 2001. The team this year features a combination of all grade levels with the four seniors; Isabel Tenniswood, Emily Crofut, Emma Olds, and Kennedy Sabin, as acting captains.

“We spend a lot of time together, so grade level and age gets forgotten more often than not” commented Senior, Kennedy Sabin.

The team has been performing and scoring better than they have been compared to previous years. Sabin also commented that they have won four out of the eight meets they have had. On Friday, February 11th, Grand Ledge hosted Escanaba’s Varsity Gymnastics team for Grand Ledge’s Senior Night. Grand Ledge ended up winning the meet in honor of their seniors.

“Being a senior on a team of multiple grade levels is a unique experience. Seeing how the younger grades grow as a gymnast and as an individual adds into the experience, as well as getting to help them work through high school and their own experiences on and off the team”, commented Tenniswood.