Comets Defeat Trojans

Shawn+Foster+runs+over+to+the+student+section+after+the+Comets+big+win+on+Friday+night.+The+football+team+will+play+Brighton+this+Friday%2C+Oct.+28th.+

Kaysen Strohaver/The Comets' Tale

Shawn Foster runs over to the student section after the Comets’ big win on Friday night. The football team will play Brighton this Friday, Oct. 28th.

Kaysen Strohaver, Staff Writer

Last Friday night, the Grand Ledge Comets varsity football team took on the East Lansing Trojans, at East Lansing High School. This game was the CAAC Blue Championship and winning this game allowed the Comets their first league title since 2017. 

The game started at 7:00 pm with East Lansing kicking it off to Grand Ledge. Within the first few minutes of the game, Shawn Foster had a long pass to Teddy Williams which gained them many yards to the endzone. Foster then ran the ball to the end zone for Grand Ledge to be the first on the scoreboard. The Comets were not able to score much more this quarter but Christian Legal kicked a 34-yard field goal to make the score 10-0, with Grand Ledge in the lead. 

In Grand Ledge’s next drive Foster passed the ball to Evan Shelby who continued to score a touchdown for the Comets. The Trojans then go on to score a touchdown making the score 17-7, following an East Lansing touchdown. Foster then makes a run and got another touchdown, making the score 24-7. Just as the second quarter came to an end the Trojans scored and the half ended with the score being 24-14, Grand Ledge in the lead. 

As the third quarter began, the Trojans were stopped short of a touchdown by the Comet’s defense. Even though they were stopped, the Trojans still scored a field goal, making the score 24-17. The whole third quarter was a back-and-forth game between the two teams, but as the third quarter was coming to a close Mason Stocker scored a touchdown, making the score 31-17 at the end of the third quarter.

The last quarter of the night begins with the Trojans scoring a touchdown and making the score 31-23. The Trojans did miss their chance for an extra point, causing the score to be 31-23. Within the next minutes, Stocker got another touchdown making the score 38-23. Following Stocker’s touchdown, the Trojans scored and made the game close at 38-30. With less than two minutes left, Foster ran the ball and got another touchdown, now making the score 45-30. 

This led to the Trojans receiving the kickoff but fumbling the ball. By doing this, Grand Ledge obtained possession of the ball in the fourth quarter with less than two minutes on the clock, securing the win for the Comets.  

Winning this game was big for the Comets. It allowed them to win the CAAC Blue Championship title which they share with Holt. The Comets’ will play in the first round of the playoffs this Friday, Oct. 28th in Brighton.