Uncle Johns Cider Mill vs. The Country Mill

Brandon Foy, Student Life/Feature Editor

With the fall season in full swing, one common festivity that local residents of Grand Ledge enjoy doing is going to a cider mill. Apple picking, cider and donuts, pumpkin patches: it is a fall fanatic’s paradise. The two go-to cider mills in the Grand Ledge community are Uncle John’s Cider Mill in St. Johns and The Country Mill in Charlotte. Uncle John’s Cider Mill is a fairly large cider mill, featuring an inflatable park and jumping pillow, hayrides,  corn maze, pumpkin patch, an apple cannon and more. Uncle John’s is open seven days a week from 9am-6pm. The final day to go enjoy fresh donuts and cider is Nov 24. On the other hand, the Country Mill is a cider mill, orchard, winery and farm market that is fun for all ages. With special events, fresh produce, and treats, the Country Mill is open six days a week from 9am-6pm, and Sundays from 11am-6pm. Anyone can attend this cider mill throughout the fall season, and they are open until Thanksgiving. Some students prefer one cider mill over the other. Four GLHS students voiced their opinions on which cider mill they preferred and which cider mill they attended more.  

I like Uncle John’s because they always have food trucks there and there’s really cute places to take pictures with your friends. My favorite things about Uncle John’s are the giant jumping pillow and getting caramel apples

— Claire Shriner

Kat Platte: Freshman

“The Country Mill is the cider mill I prefer because overall I feel like they are much more family friendly than Uncle John’s. I also LOVE their apple cider and donuts! My favorite part about the Country Mill is probably the atmosphere they have going on there. As soon as you arrive there, that feeling of fall fills your heart. I can’t get enough of how they bring my family together!”

Claire Shriner: Sophomore

“I like Uncle John’s because they always have food trucks there and there’s really cute places to take pictures with your friends. My favorite things about Uncle John’s are the giant jumping pillow and getting caramel apples!”

Travis Hunt: Junior

“I like the Country Mill better because it’s way less commercialized. Usually, Uncle John’s is really crowded and it’s hard to buy things from them. And, the Country Mill is more of a family friendly environment. My favorite part of the Country Mill is the donuts because I could eat a million of them in one sitting.”

Sam Konen: Senior

“I think both Uncle John’s and the Country Mill have very similar products. But, Uncle John’s has more attractions and is definitely worth the drive. Their corn maze is also a lot better, and the Country Mill has an anti-gay marriage policy that makes it hard for me to support their business. My favorite part of Uncle John’s is the cider and donuts.”