The Comets' Tale

They Dive So Humanity Survives

Review of a post-apocalyptic book series by a USA Today Bestselling Author

The+Hell+Divers+books+are+about+humans+living+in+airships+in+a+post+apocalyptic+world+and+hell+divers+have+to+dive+to+the+ruined+surface+to+keep+the+ships+in+the+air.+The+Series+is+a+four+book+series%2C+soon+to+be+a+five+book+series.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

They Dive So Humanity Survives

The Hell Divers books are about humans living in airships in a post apocalyptic world and hell divers have to dive to the ruined surface to keep the ships in the air. The Series is a four book series, soon to be a five book series.

Illustration by Nicholas Sansbury Smith/Courtesy Illustration

Jonathan Callison, Copy Editor/Graphic Designer

In order to survive, one must be willing to do what is necessary to stay alive, no matter the challenge.

A new series called Hell Divers, by USA Today Bestselling author Nicholas Sansbury Smith, was released over the past few years. The first book, called Hell Divers, was released in 2016. Hell Divers II: Ghosts was released in 2017, and Hell Divers III: Deliverance and Hell Divers IV: Wolves were both released in 2018. The fifth book, called Hell Divers V: Captives, is to be released on May 7.

The science-fiction series is about the post-apocalyptic world of Earth after world war three rendered the surface uninhabitable. The remaining humans have been living on airships in the sky for 250 years after the war, and that is due to the heroic efforts of Hell Divers. Hell Divers are men and women who dive to the ruined surface of Earth to scavenge for parts and other supplies to help keep the airships in the skies. However, the surface is a dangerous place filled with radioactive wastelands and mutated monsters. The average lifespan of a Hell Diver is 15 dives.

“I wanted to write something different than the trend of bunker-like stories where the characters were trapped and trying to survive underground,” Smith said. “When I was doing research, I came across a government program that is building massive airships, and thus the idea began. I enjoyed this different angle and the characters have grown on me as the story has progressed. Overall this has been one of my favorite series to write.”

This series is quite vivid. The way the books were written create a movie inside the reader’s mind for them to picture the battles and places that occur during the story, and the characters in the story were well thought out and created to seem like real people. For example, Xavier Rodriguez is the first character the reader meets. He is referred to as X and is the most experienced Hell Diver. Smith commented on Rodriguez’s character.

“I made this guy up by thinking of the strongest dude I could possibly imagine,” Smith said.

Other important characters the readers meet are Maria Ash, captain of the airship named “the Hive.” Michael “Tin” Everhart is a little boy that X has to take care of after the boy’s father and X’s best friend, Aaron Everhart, dies on a mission to the surface. There are many more characters to meet throughout the series, such as Layla, Magnolia, Roger, Weaver, a dog named Miles, and many more main characters. Smith also acknowledged the dog character and a potential TV show or film.

“[I’m] Definitely a dog person. I have one in all of my books,” Smith said. “If the option [of a film/tv show] comes to fruition, [I would do it] absolutely! For now, the option just means the company has purchased it and owns the rights to pursue a studio and screenwriter and try to get the film/TV show made.”

This book was amazing and I am looking forward to reading book five coming later this year. Although the series is not over yet, I give this series a 10/10. Order a copy of Hell Divers from Amazon today.

About the Writer

Contact Me: [email protected]

This is John's second year on the newspaper staff, but also his last because he is a senior. When John is not writing...

1 Comment

One Response to “They Dive So Humanity Survives”

1. Bruce Barlond on February 27th, 2019 6:02 pm

Well written review !

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

Dumbo: the Live-action no one asked for

• Entertainment

Movie & T.V. Reviews

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

Game of Our Childhood

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

The Oscars: A Night to Remember

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

Halftime Show Blunders

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

The Book of Glenn

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

Kingdom Hearts Returns

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

Hoodie SZN

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

The Origin Story

• They Dive So Humanity Survives

Entertainment

Into the Spiderverse Review

The Student News Site of Grand Ledge High School
They Dive So Humanity Survives