Local Tennis Player Swings for States

Photo by Marvin Hall/Courtesy Photo

Cole Goodman jumps up to strike the ball and get the win for Grand Ledge High School. Goodman recently played in the state finals for the second year in a row.

Drew Cornman, Sports Editor

Making it to states as not just a junior, but as a sophomore as well is very exciting for any athlete. Making it to states as an underclassmen feels like an underdog move, especially if you have nothing to lose. However, here at Grand Ledge, one fortunate tennis player had the opportunity to go to the state finals as an underclassman two years in a row. 

Junior Cole Goodman has had that opportunity, once as a sophomore and again as a junior. 

“It was pretty exciting to make it for the second time in a row, so it was pretty cool for sure,” Goodman said.

It was obviously not an easy road to arrive at the state finals, with many factors coming in to play. One of these factors-confidence-is the key to winning a match.

“I’d say just staying confident. Staying confident in my strokes, just staying positive and playing well throughout,” Goodman said.

Although Goodman has made it here two years in a row, there are still some challenges that he faces against top-tier high school players. Many of these athletes have a much better playing style and much more experience as well.

“Probably just working on my ground strokes and staying more consistent, as well as keeping a good mindset and keeping myself positive throughout the matches.” Goodman said.

Keeping up with this positive mindset helps not only with going to States, but also gaining the attention of some college recruiters. NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) have looked at Goodman to play, as well as a few Division II schools.

Although the tennis season is over, Cole looks to finish the school year strong and hopefully bring home something big for the team next year. Anybody interested in finding out more information about the tennis team can visit the Grand Ledge Tennis page.