Celebrate HER

March is designated as Women’s History Month to remember the impact of women in history, as well as the future of women.

A+glimpse+of+the+student+leaders+at+GLHS.+Student+Council+is+made+up+primarily+of+females.+

A glimpse of the student leaders at GLHS. Student Council is made up primarily of females.

Olivia Schelling, Co-Editor

After a lifelong battle, ups and downs, and a continuum of protests, women have been heard and changed history. March marks Women’s History Month. A month to celebrate how far women have come in the fight for their rights, and how resilient they can be. 

A complicated idea that has been brought up over the years is girlhood. Girlhood commemorates the anniversary of women’s suffrage. Women have changed history in multiple areas including but not limited to politics, education, work, health, and fashion, according to a website on women’s history month. 

For decades, women have made achievements in the areas mentioned above and more. Around 1943, the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League was formed. Grand Rapids had their very own team, The Grand Rapids Chicks. Turning it back to a remarkable moment in history, In 1955, Michigan’s very own Rosa Parks sat  for the rights and dignity of African American Women everywhere. In 1925, Cora Reynolds Anderson was the first women and one of the first Native American elected to the Michigan House of Representatives.

“As a state representative, she worked towards improved health care, especially in the fight against tuberculosis. A building bearing her name houses the state representative offices to this day,” stated Awesome Mitten.

These women and their achievements are only a few examples of their history. The foundations of women’s history helps younger females to grow and persevere through the hardest of times. Not only have the women of the past contributed to the future, but the women of today continue to write the stories of tomorrow. 

“Women have fought for the freedom to do what we [women] want. Women don’t have to be told what to do. Women are able to have their own choices. Women have less limits, but there are still places where men have more power, and I believe that this will change in the near future”

— Avery Zann

History is ever changing. Women today continue to fight for their peace. Learning may be an important way for someone to write their own story, or simply learn about the battle from the past.

“I try to learn more about women’s history by watching documentaries and interviewing family members who lived and experienced women’s suffrage,” stated Zann. 

Many women influence the world around them. Teachers, models, doctors, celebrities, peers, etc act as role models in their communities. The women mentioned above are just a few influential women that changed history. 

“My 8th grade English teacher, Emily Hamlin, is the most influential woman in my life. In 8th grade, there were a lot of mental health things I was going through, and I was able to relax in her class and talk to her about what was going on,” said Zann. 

Women’s fight for rights is not over. Females today continue to write a new story for females everywhere. Take this month to reflect on the achievements made by women, and goals women set for themselves.