Super Bowl Halftime Show

Graphic by Mayra Cruz Santiago

The 2022 halftime show was presented to viewers by Pepsi. It was a nostalgic performance to some.

Mayra Cruz Santiago, Staff Writer

The new year has started which means Super Bowl LVI and the halftime show are back. This year, for the halftime show, five big musical icons, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Mary J Blige, and Snoop Dogg, came together and performed some of their big hit songs. There was even a surprise guest, 50 Cent, that made an appearance.

This year, Super Bowl LVI was held at the SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, California. The show started at 8:00 p.m. ET.  Before the date of the performance, a sophomore student at Grand Ledge High School, Pierce Dahlgren shared his predictions for the show and who he wanted to see.

“|I want to see| Eminem, I want to see what song he chooses” Dahlgren said “ He has a lot of good songs… I would say Rap God, but that’s basic and that’s not one of his funny songs”

This year’s halftime show opened up with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg singing The Next Episode on top of a set that looked like rooms of a house. After that it transitioned to California Love which, sung by Dr. Dre as tribute to 2Pac.

It then transitioned to 50 Cent, a surprise guest, who was hanging upside down singing In Da Club. He eventually got down and continued singing with backup dancers.

After he was done, Mary J Blige was seen on the roof of the massive set piece, singing and dancing with backup dancers to Family Affair, and from there, it transitioned to No More Drama where she was seen dancing by herself and then dropping on the ground.

The next musical artist that performed was Kendrick Lamar, singing Alright with backup dancers in black suits. He was spotted on the main floor, and popped out of a brown box that said “Dre Day.”

When he was done, Eminem was seen on top of the roof of the set, part of which was intentionally destroyed when he came out. He started singing Rap God, and quickly transitioned into Lose Yourself. In the end, Eminem took a knee like Colin Kaepernick, a quarterback that used to play for the San Francisco 49ers. This action represents a protest against police brutality and racial inequality in the United States of America. From there, the show transitioned to the next singer, Dr. Dre.

Dre took the spotlight and started singing Still D.R.E. Snoop Dogg joined in to sing the song. They were both seen singing and dancing on the roof of the set again with dancers on the ground moving to the song.

After a little while, the rest of the singers met up on the roof and started dancing with them and that’s how the show ended. Dalghren watched the show and had some positive thoughts about it

“ I wasn’t really expecting 50 Cent which made it even better,” Dalghren said, “[Eminem’s] intro was awesome when he came riding up on the thingy [floor of the set]” 

A lot of people really enjoyed the show because of how much nostalgia it brought. People all over the internet have even called it the best halftime show ever.