Grand Ledge Boys Volleyball Is Here!

Number Three Austin Chamblee jumps up to get the kill. Grand Ledge played Lansing Christian in their last game.

Madison Bartlett, Staff Writer

Boys volleyball is finally making a return to Grand Ledge for the 2022 season! This year, the boy’s volleyball team will be coached by Andy Reynaert, and will be playing in the Michigan Boys Volleyball League. 

Grand Ledge volleyball had tried to start a boys volleyball team but was unsuccessful. When COVID-19 hit the Grand Ledge area, all sports were put on pause. Now with everything being opened again here in Michigan, Grand Ledge was now able to create a boy’s volleyball program for the spring 2022 season.

“I’m most excited to continue and develop my skills at volleyball,” Caleb Curry said. “My favorite part has been the new connections I have made with my teammates.”

This season the boys roster is Malachi Benjamin, Ben Diebel, Aiden Chamblee, Brady Smith, Evan Robinson, Eldis Govin, Austin Chamblee, Caleb Curry, Ryan Reynaert, Colton Austin, Kyle Robinson, Nathan Rosalin, and Luke Lundie.

“I have wanted to play on a boy’s volleyball team for a long time, and this is the first chance I got. I also hope more students start to show up to cheer us on!” Ryan Reynaert stated.

The first boys volleyball games were on April 11th. They participated in a quad at Lansing Christian, with Jackson Northwest and Calhoun Christian. The first match was against Jackson Northwest, winning the game two sets to one. The second game was a hard-fought battle against Calhoun Christian, losing two sets to zero, which put them 1-1 in the quad.

“I’ve been on the team the past 2 years that we were trying to play, and so I tried out again this year since we were finally able to play,” Malachi Benjamin said.

The Grand Ledge Boys club team had played in another quad on April 18th at Eastern High School. To kick off the night, the team played Lansing Public at 5:30. The first set, they had ended up losing 20-25 in a tough battle. The second set, Grand Ledge beat Lansing public 25-22, now being tied in sets. For the last and final set, Grand Ledge lost 9-15, now losing the game two sets to one.

After the first game, they played again right after at 6:30 against Lansing Public’s JV team. After the first set, Grand Ledge Lost 16-25, putting them 0-1 in the game. The second set, Grand ledge started off strong, but then ended up falling short to Lansing Public 20-24 in the final set.

To end off the night, the team played Lansing Christian in their final game. The first set ended 14-25 after Lansing Christian found their way to the top. The second set ended after Grand Ledge fought their way to the top, but ended up falling short once again to Lansing Christian 22-25.

“My favorite part about being on the team so far is the chemistry we have already built in so little time,” Nathan Rosalin stated.

To find out more information about boys volleyball, make sure to check out the boy’s volleyball Facebook page (@Grand Ledge Boys Volleyball) and Instagram (@glboysvball).