Blood Drives Save Lives

An+Instagram+post+advertising+the+Blood+Drive+is+shown.+This+was+one+of+the+ways+Student+Council+spread+word+of+the+event.+

An Instagram post advertising the Blood Drive is shown. This was one of the ways Student Council spread word of the event.

Marisol Macias, Staff Writer

Friday the Thirteenth was a bloody one at Grand Ledge High School, when the school’s second blood drive was up and running for student and community donation. Hosted by Student Council members, Red Cross volunteers, and various staff, the drive was successful in gaining  wholehearted individuals willing to donate.  

Although it was not the central idea, part of this drive’s success includes the trust that was strengthened amongst community members. Its impact traveled far in the eyes of those who volunteered. 

Bella Grass, Junior Student Council member, was one of the many who helped run the event.  

“I think this impacts our school and community in a huge way. It makes me feel important in the community and I don’t even donate blood. Students who actually are donating blood are incredible, literally saving lives,” Grass said. 

In fact, one unit of blood (one single donation!) can save three lives according to Susan Clements, an American Red Cross Account Manager. 

Before this can happen though, Clements advises the future donor to go through a list of requirements along with keeping their physical health in check.
  “You have to be at least one hundred and ten pounds, and in good physical health…for high school students there is a special height and weight requirement, they’re there for the safety of our donors…” Clements stated. 

When these requirements are met, the process is the same for each donor, but can take different amounts of time. Depending on the donor’s hydration and energy levels, it can take up to an hour, including registration. 

The process sounds like a breeze, aside from the notion that many are uncomfortable with needles, especially high schoolers. 

“I think the biggest thing is for high school students to think it’s cool. How cool is it to save three lives? One time that you donate, you’re [hypothetically] saving three lives, because typically when you go to the emergency room or the hospital, you don’t get a whole unit of blood….I believe high schools and colleges provide twenty percent of the overall blood supply during the school year,” Clements mentioned. 

It makes the heart skip a beat knowing how far one donation can go. All around, what GLHS students do can touch the lives of those who they will likely never even know. 

Missed it but still looking to donate? More information and local blood drives can be found on the Red Cross website.