Deck the Fall

Nyah Ganton, Staff Writer/Ad Guy

As temperatures drop, and the air becomes crisp, one question remains in Grand Ledge: “When does the Christmas season begin?” For some people, it is a dreaded question. For others, an awaited one. When the holidays come to town, the christmas spirit fills everyone. The community loves the christmas parade, Winter Homecoming, and Silver Bells. There is no doubt that it is the season to be jolly. But for some people, the Christmas celebrations start way too soon. So when does Christmas start? Does it wait for Thanksgiving to pass or does it jump right in after Halloween? Well, for some, Christmas is not the center of attention yet. Students want to keep Christmas in December, and keep their holidays seperate. The fall is so full of activities, why let Christmas hide them? Things like cider mills and pumpkin patches get taken over by Christmas movies and hot chocolate. But the fall season does not have time to shine. 

As the years go on, people bring Christmas into fall more and more, and for those who love it, they do not mind. For some students at Grand Ledge, Christmas could not come sooner. Christmas music year round, and colorful lights, is nothing less than acceptable. These students may not hate fall, but they are overwhelmed by the excitement of the upcoming holiday. They are ready for snow, christmas cookies, and all the holiday fun . Four Grand Ledge students talk about how they feel about celebrations starting on November 1st, whether they do or do not like the early festivities, and what their favorite Christmas activities are. 

“It’s still too early, Thanksgiving hasn’t even happened yet,” Riley Fulton, a sophomore said. “Ice skating is really fun but my favorite thing is making christmas cookies and gingerbread houses but not until after thanksgiving. Normally I wait until a week before Christmas.”

“I say yes because Thanksgiving and Christmas kinda match together as the winter holidays,” Mackenzie Miller, a freshman, said. “I really enjoy sledding with my friends and watching christmas movies. I mostly watch Christmas movies right before christmas but sometimes I like watching them earlier because it reminds me Christmas is coming soon.” 

“Singing in choir just makes me hate it more,” Mackenzie Rademacher, a Grand Ledge Madrigal, said. She elaborates, “Starting Christmas music so early makes it so when it actually starts playing on the radio it’s just annoying.”

“There are other holidays that come before it, so why do we need to celebrate it before it happens.”  Nicholas Diotte, a Grand Ledge athlete, said. He explains some more, “I’d start celebrating Christmas about two, three weeks before. I could see after Thanksgiving still being too early.”