Varsity Soccer’s Big Year

Matthew Perron’s take on Grand Ledge’s varsity soccer team this year

Photo by Matthew Faccio

Matthew Perron posing with a broken finger. This injury was received during one of his last soccer games with Grand Ledge.

Matthew Faccio, Staff Writer

It is no secret that Grand Ledge loves high school sports, but sometimes soccer flies a little under the radar. However, Matthew Perron is ready to bring soccer to the forefront. 

Perron is a varsity soccer player, one of many among the many soccer players that Grand Ledge has to offer. Perron’s dedication to the grind is impeccable and incomparable, and the same goes for his team. 

“I feel like we all have the skill and knowledge of the game that it takes,” Perron says, “but our team chemistry is seriously been caught lacking lately.” This means Grand Ledge varsity soccer has some work to do, but thankfully there are solutions to these problems. 

Even though this happened, I will still be playing for the rest of the season, and you will not catch me slippin.

— Matthew Perron

“I think if we got some practice,” Perron states, “our team would flow much better and we could develop a better chemistry.” Perron may have a little doubts when it comes to their teams chemistry, but he is sure that with enough hard work they can work out the kinks.

“Coach DJ used to be our school’s junior varsity soccer coach,” Perron says, “so I have no doubt that he has the skills to put this team in the number one spot this season.” Perron’s confidence in our new varsity soccer coach proves that the team believes he is going to be good at fulfilling this position.

Matthew Perron is an extremely dedicated individual who has played soccer since he was 7. This is not the only proof of his hard work he has. Perron has recently suffered an injury while playing soccer, which thankfully was not severe. He was struck by a rogue soccer ball flying at an estimated speed of 55 mph striking him in the hand which resulted in him completely snapping his pointer finger. 

“I may have broken my finger, but it did not really hurt and at first I did not even think it was broken,” Perron says, “Even though this happened, I will still be playing for the rest of the season, and you will not catch me slippin.” If Perron’s optimism and confidence proves anything, it is that this will be a solid season of varsity soccer for Grand Ledge.