The History of Valentine’s Day

The History of Valentines Day

Isabella Dionise, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day, a day full of love, laughter, and sweets, may not have started the way the world remembers.
Valentine’s day is traced all the way back to an Ancient Roman Holiday called Lupercalia, taking place anywhere between February 13th to the 15th. This celebration was to celebrate the Roman god of Agriculture Faunus, as well as to remember the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. This celebration was to appreciate the crop they had, as well as to encourage more fertility.
Later, when Catholicism became more popular, the celebration of Lupercalia was changed to a day to remember St. Valentine.
The legend of St. Valentine is one of a priest in third-century Rome. Emperor Claudius outlawed marriage, decreeing married men made bad soldiers because they were less likely to fight to the death. St. Valentine decided to marry couples anyway. When Emperor Claudius found out, he had Valentine thrown in prison for his crimes.
From here, the legend has multiple different versions. The following version is the most told and widely accepted.
In jail, St. Valentine fell in love with the jailer’s daughter. He would write her love letters from his cell often, signed off as “your Valentine.” This is where the tradition of writing cards began. St. Valentine was martyred for his religion and his crimes. His feast day, the day he is remembered, is February 14th.
Cupid, the cherub often associated with Valentine’s day, is a depiction of the Roman God of Love. Cupid could strike a mortal, or fellow god, with his arrow and make them fall in love with anyone or anything he wanted.
Grand Ledge Students are celebrating this day full of love. Senior, Alyssa Hogan, mentioned that she loves the traditions and the colors. Students may celebrate with significant others while others may celebrate by themselves.
“I have mixed feelings. I enjoy showing love and joy to other people, but the false expectations that are built up in my head about Valentine’s Day suck.” remarked Bella Tijerina.
Some families have set traditions when it comes to Valentine’s Day.
“My parents usually get us a little gift… and they give us a card that always has a Valentine’s day joke” Tijerina stated.
While the history of Valentine’s day can be murky to some, Valentine’s day has turned into a day to show love and kindness to other people.