Demented Mitten Tours

On+Sept.+8+people+from+around+Michigan+came+to+the+Turner+Dodge+house+to+speak+with+Author+Jenn+Carpenter+about+her+new+book%2C+Haunted+Lansing%2C+at+her+release+party.+The+Dodge+house+is+a+site+Carpenter+visits+during+her+Demented+Lansing+tour.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Demented Mitten Tours

On Sept. 8 people from around Michigan came to the Turner Dodge house to speak with Author Jenn Carpenter about her new book, Haunted Lansing, at her release party. The Dodge house is a site Carpenter visits during her Demented Lansing tour.

Photo by Hannah Rose/The Comets' Tale

Photo by Hannah Rose/The Comets' Tale

Photo by Hannah Rose/The Comets' Tale

Hannah Rose, Editor-in-Chief

Every city has a past, but many tend to focus solely on the bright and positive side of the story. However, the fun stories tend to be  the ones that contain a hidden, chilling twist.

Local parent, entrepreneur, and author Jenn Carpenter has found her passion in the hidden horrors that make up the history of mid Michigan. Through her business Demented Mitten Tours, Carpenter takes those up for the fright on a tour of historical locations throughout mid Michigan that are rumored to be haunted.

“The idea to bring a true crime/paranormal tour to the Lansing area was inspired by a similar tour we went on in Chicago, the “Weird Chicago” tour,” Carpenter said. “It was a lot of fun, and Mid-Michigan has so much interesting history, it just seemed like something at least worth trying.”

Carpenter offers five different Demented Mitten Tours, including; Horror in the Heartland, Demented Lansing, Wild Wild West, REDRUM Ride, Monsters and Mobsters.

“I would say the tours are equally popular at this point, but our Horror in the Heartland Tour features the most notorious locations,” Carpenter said. “We try to keep our tour locations secret, but most people who go on that tour expect to travel to the site of the Bath School Bombing, which we do.”

Carpenter began her tours in 2016, wishing to to get others excited about history while pursuing her love of the paranormal.

“I sound like a huge nerd, but I love seeing people get excited about history,” Carpenter said. “And it’s always funny when someone lets the stories get inside their head and freaks themselves out. We’re not a jump-scare type attraction, so if someone gets scared, it’s all in the mind. I grew up in the 80s, a million years ago- so I grew up watching Unsolved Mysteries and Rescue 911. I think those kind of piqued my interest in the paranormal and true crime from a young age. It’s really awesome to be able to bring them together like this.”

To sign up for a tour, those brave enough can reserve a spot at https://dementedmittentours.com/, but it is recommended that people who are interested first email [email protected] or contact them via their Facebook page to ensure the tour they are interested in still has slots available. Tours last three to four hours, with tickets ranging from $35-$45 a person depending on the tour selected. Demented Mitten Tours runs through the months of March-October. Additional information on specific prices and available tours can be found on the Demented Mitten Tours webpage.

Some tours include special themes like Movie Night, Zombie Night and Masquerade. Along with themes, most tours  also feature a special guest.

“We have had paranormal experts and mediums from all over the state, which is really amazing,” Carpenter said. “Local true crime author Rod Sadler has joined us on a couple of tours, and the photographer for Haunted Lansing, Erica Cooper, guests occasionally as well.”

Following the success of her business, Carpenter further used her love of  haunted history by writing the book Haunted Lansing. The book, published Sept. 3, is available online and at local Barnes and Noble, Schuler, Sam’s Club, Costco, and Whole Foods. It can also be purchased during a tour to be signed by Carpenter herself.

“The book is about locations around Lansing that are rumored to be haunted,” Carpenter said. “I break down urban legends and go in depth to the real history attached to these locations, which might explain the hauntings.”

Not only is Carpenter a successful businesswomen and author, but also proud mother of previous and current Grand Ledge students.   

Photo by Hannah Rose/The Comets’ Tale

“I get to go on my moms tours sometimes and they’re pretty spooky,” sophomore and Carpenter’s son Ethan Cisler said. “I think she’s worked pretty hard.”

About the Writer
Hannah Rose, Editor-in-Chief

Contact Me: [email protected]

Hannah Rose is a senior at GLHS. This is her third year on The Comets' Tale staff. She enjoys writing news and opinion...