Mayhem at McDiarmid

Courtesy Illustration by Joey Arens

These are the dates and times for Mayhem at McDiarmid. “Hope you have a frightful time!” said Arens.

Raven Nava, Ad Sales Manager

It is that time of year again, October, a.k.a the “spooky month,” which means everyone is setting up for their Halloween plans, like trick-or-treating, going to a Halloween party, or going to a haunted house. Senior Joey Arens creates his own haunted house, called Mayhem at McDiarmid, with his friends and family every year just in time for Halloween. Each year with a new theme, Arens love putting on a show to make people jump, shiver, laugh, and of course, terrified to the core.

In fact, I created fliers and put them around the high school so students can sign up. We usually have an email out for students to say what times they are available for and when they can participate.

— Joey Arens

“This started a long time ago,” Arens said. “First, it began very small with Halloween parties and it just sort of grew from there. We invited our friends and we would just have a party in our basement. It was fun for us when we were kids, but it sort of grew from that. I believe it was 2013 when we created our first public haunted house in our garage. Then the second year it went to the side of my house and the third year it went around my house and it just kept getting bigger and bigger, so it started taking over our whole house.”

Arens explains that he is not the only one who runs the haunted house. He gets his support from his mom and step-father, along with students from GLHS.

“It is just my mom, my step-dad, and I who set up the haunted house, but when it comes to actually scaring people, we usually have around seven people and they usually are students from the high school,” Arens explained. “In fact, I created fliers and put them around the high school so students can sign up. We usually have an email out for students to say what times they are available for and when they can participate.”

Unfortunately, Joey has announced that this year might be his last haunted house, Mayhem at Mcdiarmid, due to him being a senior this year. This will not stop Arens from having the best-haunted house, with this year’s theme: hospitals.

“I’m not allowed to reveal too much about this, but the theme is hospitals. There is gonna be medical technicians, doctors, all that fun stuff,” Arens states. “It is free to go, so you can go have fun with friends and family”

If you wanna hang out with friends and get scared out of your mind, go to Joey Aren’s Mayhem at McDiarmid, located on 917 McDiarmid Lane on Oct. 26, 27, and Halloween from 8-10pm. If students wanna participate and terrify the community, email Arens at [email protected].