Do you still trick or treat?

Photo by Amiah Edmond

Senior Nicholas Diotte dressed like a nurse, which is one of the most popular costumes this year, for both males and females. Diotte borrowed his girlfriend’s scrubs for this costume.

Amiah Edmond, Ad Guy

Entering high school can be a confusing time in students’ lives. Students  have several teachers a day, homework piles that stack to the ceiling. Now add  the seemingly impossible decision whether to go trick or treating or not. It is officially spooky month and there is one question buzzing around the high school; who still goes trick-or-treating? 

Some people say the age limit to trick or treating is when entering high school, maybe even the year before. Inevitably, there will be a few freshmen in ghost costumes and seniors hopping around in bunny costumes. 

“Honestly, I feel that once everyone enters high school, that should be the cut off for trick or treating. Most of the time, when high schoolers go trick-or-treating, they don’t even dress up, but instead spend the whole night pulling pranks on the younger kids,” Garret Halverson, a senior at Grand Ledge High School, said. High schoolers going trick-or-treating can come across as childish and immature to some, but it is seen as a rite of passage to others. 

“I think people should stop trick or treating at 12, because there is no reason why high schoolers should be dressing up and ringing doorbells to get free candy. I could see if they were taking their younger sibling, but anything else is weird,” Myah Schrauben, a senior at Grand Ledge High School, said.

I think that until you are out of high school you can go trick or treating, if there is a reason for it. . Going trick or treating because it is the last year someone is able or the person and their friends genuinely like it– cool, more power to them. Once they start toilet papering houses and stop dressing up, they should stop. I personally do not plan on going trick or treating on account of the freezing rain and winds that always seem to take place on that spooky day. Nevertheless, I still think one of the best feelings in the world is dumping out your Halloween candy and trading it with your friends. 

“Yeah, I definitely still go trick or treating. There is no way I would pass up an opportunity to dress up and get free candy! Once you turn 20, you should probably stop trick or treating. That is when it gets a little weird,” Kaile Slaybaugh, a freshman, said. Dressing up in costumes and going door to door in the freezing cold may have seemed appealing as children, but as kids get older, they start to feel the cold more and walking for hours isn’t as enjoyable.

“It is very possible that is why kids stop trick or treating earlier and earlier; I know that is why I stopped,” Nicholas Diotte, a senior, said. 

With Halloween creeping up quickly, some high schoolers run frantically to Halloween stores looking for the perfect costumes. Whether they go trick or treating, to a party, or just stay home, the students at Grand Ledge High School all seem to love spooky season.