Embrace The Suck

Back to Article
Back to Article

Embrace The Suck

Grand ledge students Abby  Hernandez and Brianna Stange, both 11th grade students. they are working hard on there school work.

Grand ledge students Abby Hernandez and Brianna Stange, both 11th grade students. they are working hard on there school work.

Photo by Michaela O'Brien

Photo by Michaela O'Brien

Photo by Michaela O'Brien

Michaela O'Brien, staff writer

Life in high school is like a rollercoaster there are lots of ups and downs. But out of all those ups and downs, the good things about high school will be the most important. Students today have it harder than adults did back when they were in high school. Students now have new technology, a harder curriculum, and peer pressure with vaping.

With the new technology always coming out students can be on their phones whenever they want and not have to focus on the class they are in. With that happening it distracts kids from learning which can affect their grade. Their grades can drop dramatically because they are not listening to the teacher, so they do not know what they are learning about in class, which leads to them not doing well on a test or quiz. But there can be good things, letting students use study tools on their phones can help them, but the way they use it is not helpful to their education.

As the years go by, the way schools teach and the curriculum has changed. I think adults now had it much easier in high school than kids do today. Math has changed, AP classes are harder, and lots of new classes adults might not have had back when they were in high school. The way teachers teach now is also very different back then, teachers now have a newer curriculum to teach the students, and when students go on there phones it distracts them from learning. when students go on there phones they are not listening in class so when they do there homework they do not know what they are doing. Then there parents can not really help them because what the student is learning is different form what they learned back when they were in high school.

Peer pressure then versus now is different. Kids these days can be pressured into doing anything, the big thing that most kids are pressured into doing is vaping. I think most kids started doing it because it was the cool new thing that everyone was doing and they wanted to be apart of it. With kids today almost everyone has a vape on them. Which makes it harder for kids to stay away from it. This leads to getting themselves addicted to it and that can lead to problems later in life, but no one knows about the long term effects or what it could be doing to their bodies right now.

Every kid just wants to get the high school experience and try new things. But school work should be a main priority to them because it sets up their future and all these distractions are not good from them but it is a part of high school.  The highs and lows of high school are what make high school