A New Perspective on Cupid and His Arrow

Mayah Stone

What does Valentine’s Day make you think of? Is it boxes of chocolates? Red roses? Heartfelt letters from your loved ones? Valentine’s Day can be celebrated however you desire. There are no specific rules that you must follow to go about this love-filled day. I personally have always found it to be a lovely way to show appreciation to people who you may sometimes take for granted. There is no need for a special someone to enjoy the holiday. Grab your pet or someone who you cherish and tell them how much they mean to you.

A fellow Grand Ledge High School student, Ana Buffington, shares her experiences with self-love on this special day. “I buy myself flowers, I then buy myself my favorite ice cream, then watch romantic movies with my dog.” Valentine’s Day does not always have to be celebrated with a significant other; as long as you are enjoying yourself and smiling, you are doing it right.

Another student from Grand Ledge, Adrianna Priese, shares her most memorable Valentine’s Day which was last year. Adrianna worked in a Kindergarten classroom and helped the students put together their Valentine’s Day boxes. “It was a very heartwarming experience seeing the kids pass the love around with their friends.” Being able to help young kids celebrate and teach them to love one another is such a great unforgettable experience.

When I think about Valentine’s Day, I think about people being all lovey- dovey and going out to eat at fancy restaurants. Over the years, I do believe Valentines Day has become quite commercialized. I don’t think it’s just me when I say this. I’ve learned though from my own personal experience, and in talking with those I interviewed, that romantic love is not solely what Valentine’s Day is about. You get to create your own tradition and celebrate it how you want to celebrate, not based on society’s message. I believe Valentine’s Day is a day to show love and appreciation to friends, family, pets, and most importantly, yourself. Oftentimes, with our busy schedules and being caught up in life itself, we forget about who we are really celebrating. This one special day, which only happens once a year, is a day to remember those important people in your life and celebrate them! This day is so important and key to making sure those you love know that you do care for them. It’s that one day to tell them and yourself that you do matter.