Journey Of Empowering Voices

Read more about the BSU club
Journey Of Empowering Voices

Grand Ledge’s very own Black Student union is now in its second year. It is 100% student led, it focuses on promoting experiences, history, and culture of African American students. 

This club was created by Shayla Kiser and Braelyn Jackson-pointer.

“We created this club to have a safe place for other African American students to be able to come and feel comfortable in a safe place and so that they could talk about daily experiences they face everyday going to a predominantly white school,” Board member Shayla Kiser said.

All year long, the Black Student Union plans a number of events and activities. These  include fundraisers, bake sales, field trips to museums, and a new month-long celebration for Black history month. 

This year, the Black Student Union and Pals are partnering up to put on a month-long celebration in honor of black history month.

“The goals change every year but the number one goal is to create a safe place and education for people, increase pride in the community and educate the staff,” Black Student Union advisor Mrs. Read said. 

Black Student Union plays a big role in advocating for change and addressing issues of racial inequality within the school and community. It seeks to create a more equal and supportive environment for all students regardless of ethnicity. They hope to raise awareness around our school and to treat all students kindly and equally, regardless of the gender, ethnicity, and religion the student is.