Buff n’ Tuff Faces Tough Delays

Learn about when Buff n Tuff was rescheduled for, quotes from the coaches, and the results of the game!
The Buff n Tuff Senior team huddles up to strategize before the first game. Seniors went on to win the game against the Freshmen 2-0.
Carson Lemon

After the unpredicted 5 day weekend at Grand Ledge High School from Jan. 13, 2024 to Jan. 16, 2024, Student Council’s annual winter Buff n Tuff game was postponed, until a date was decided on Jan. 31, 2024. The game was slated to be played on Jan. 16, but because of poor weather conditions, it was delayed for a further date.

Buff n Tuff is a similar concept to the Powderpuff game Student Council puts on in the fall. Each grade level makes a team of 20 males to play a quick game of volleyball against each other, while being coached by our Varsity Volleyball players.

“The way we organized the game this year was, first-come-first-serve, so we only took the first 20 people [of each grade] who signed up on the google form.” Kylie Goodman, the Chair for the Buff n Tuff game said when asked about how teams were selected. “We had all the coaches fill out a form about if they wanted to coach, ref, or line judge. We chose all of the varsity players positions first, and then we based off of who we think is good with communicating with the guys and stuff like that.”

A problem Goodman ran into with rescheduling the game was that there were very few open gym times for them to play. The committee was waiting on a response from Mr. Baker, the athletic director, to give them some available time slots. They hoped to be able to put the game on by the end of January, however they had to wait until February because of the late notice.

The game is now scheduled to take place in the New Gym on Feb. 8, 2024. The games will start with Freshmen vs Seniors, Sophomore vs Juniors, and then the winners of both games will play each other for bragging rights.

The game was played on Feb 8, 2024, with the initial games being played between Seniors and Freshmen, and Sophomores and Juniors. Seniors won their first game 2-0, and the Juniors won their game 2-1. The final match-up between Juniors and Seniors ended with a win for the Seniors 2-0.